What Baby Boomers Will Look For in Nursing Homes
- Customer Service — Boomers will expect service more like a hotel than a hospital. For more on this, see my post Less Hospital, More Hospitality.
- Better food — They’ll want healthier food, with a greater selection, tastefully presented, in a pleasant atmosphere, and served by people who have the time and attitude to make meals a pleasurable experience.
- Computer Access — They’ll prefer a wireless facility, with computers adapted for disability.
- Outdoor Space — Boomers will expect to go outside in all sorts of weather, at all times of the day, onto an attractive patio. They’ll want to sign out of the facility AMA (against medical advice) rather than have to rely on others to go off-campus.
- Quiet Areas — A serene place within the facility to be away from the bells, buzzers, phones and alarms will be well-received.
- Mobility — Boomers will take the risk of falls in order to maintain their mobility and independence as long as possible. They won’t care about the facility’s falls policy.
- Motorized Wheelchairs and other adaptive devices — Knowing how much technology is out there, boomers will seek devices that improve their lives, and they’ll create what they need if it doesn’t already exist.
Have something to add? Comments are welcome.